1. To never be ashamed of where you come from, no matter what people say
2. Always carry your personal belongings in front of you
3. When in London, expect bipolar weather
4. When they say pack lightly, pack everything you THINK you need and then cut that in half
5. Airports are strict about weight restrictions
6. Don’t ever accept bread at the dinner table. They will charge you…
7. Sunscreen is your best friend during summer
8. Bring more money than you think you need
9. When asking for directions, ask multiple people to be certain
10. Remember that the subway/metro/underground closes earlier during the week
11. Know that not everyone is out to get you
12. It is important to meet the locals. Try to have dinner with a local family if you can!
13. Try to learn key phrases in various languages. People will appreciate the effort. Not everyone speaks English…
14. Don’t be loud in public places. You will be that obnoxious tourist and people will hate you…
15. U.S. media often frames stories in a way that hides the truth. European media shows everything and openly admits to being biased.
16. European men are as forward as people say they are. You will get hit on…a lot…
17. When visiting Muslim countries, stay clear of short shorts, tank tops and neon colors
18. Try everything once
19. Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone
20. Get lost, you will stumble upon something wonderful
21. Prepare for a lack of air conditioning. They don’t believe in it…(or ice)
22. Use public transportation
23. Don’t take for granted your time abroad. It will be over before you know it…
24. Travel with a group of people you can tolerate for long periods of time
25. Do research about the places you are visiting ahead of time
26. Try your best to avoid spending too much time in “touristy” places
27. Make sure you journal about your travels
28. Read local newspapers, it will allow you to have a different perspective about news
29. If you have Mac products, buy the world travel adapter kit. You will use it often and thank me later…
30. Ask questions and be curious. Learn as much as possible!
31. Keep your passport in a secure place and make copies of it just in case you lose it
32. Take lots of photos! You may think you are taking too many but you can never have enough…
33. People will surprise you. You cannot judge a book by its cover.
34. Don’t generalize a group of people based on their past.
35. The world is filled with amazing people and cultures. It is important for everyone to be open to diversity.
36. And, share your experiences with friends and family. If they can’t travel, open their eyes to the world through your stories.
I could probably think of more but that will do!